1/06/2009

Imposters, Part 3 - Other Parasites

For all the press it gets, we often forget that pediculosis capitis (head lice) is pretty harmless. It's annoying. It's tiring. But, there are no real health risks directly related to this condition.

However, if you think you have head lice, answer some questions like these for yourself:

Do I have any itching/bites on ANY other parts of my body?

Do I feel ill or have any other symptoms (such as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle or joint aches, fatigue, flaky skin)?

If you are experiencing any other unusual symptoms besides the itchiness on your scalp, there may be something other than head lice going on. Especially if you haven't actually seen any bugs or eggs on your scalp. There are other illness, and other parasites, that can cause your scalp to be itchy. Some that can cause real health problems. If you call me, I will ask you questions. And while I can still come and check for head lice, I may recommend that you visit your family doctor.

No comments: